From Meghan Markle's classy wedding gown, Princess Diana's trend-setting attire, to the Queen's statement-making dresses, it has become a rite of passage for the British royals to wear a breathtaking design. Let's take a look back at 31 most gorgeous royal gowns of all time.
1. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2018)
Featuring elegant and minimal design, Meghan's boat neck wedding dress by Givenchy was a timeless classic.
2. Diana, Princess of Wales (1987)
During a visit to the White House, Princess Diana joined the dance floor with actor John Travolta in a velvet dress by Victor Edelstein.
3. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2018)
Duchess Meghan looked chic on her wedding reception day in a custom Stella McCartney gown.
4. Diana, Princess of Wales (1996)
Princess Diana matched a purple Versace gown with Jimmy Choos heels on her only trip to Chicago.
5. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2019)
Walking alongside Kate Middleton at Wimbledon, Meghan paired a white Givenchy shirt with a pleated Hugo Boss skirt.
6. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2018)
Duchess Meghan stood out in a vibrant blue Safiyaa dress with a cape attached to the back.
7. Diana, Princess of Wales (1984)
Princess Diana attended a ballet performance in an eye-popping pink and white dress by Catherine Walker.
8. Princess Anne and Queen Elizabeth II (1969)
The Queen and her daughter looked glamorous on a visit to Australia, each wearing a tiara, a sash, and white gloves.
9. Diana, Princess of Wales (1981)
Before off-the-shoulder dresses became popular, Princess Diana was already wearing them in the 1980s. This Bellville Sassoon chiffon ball gown, with lilac and pink silk, had a dreamy quality.
10. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2018)
Duchess Meghan chose a belted cream Givenchy dress for a visit to Chesire with the Queen.
11. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge (2017)
Duchess Kate wore an Alexander McQueen shoulder-baring scarlet gown to the Queen's birthday party.
12. Diana, Princess of Wales (1981)
Designed by David and Elizabeth Emanuel, Diana's iconic wedding dress featured over 10,000 pearl sequins and a 25-foot train that could barely fit into the royal carriage.
13. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2018)
The Duchess looked sharp in a forest green Boss by Hugo leather skirt on a visit to Sussex.
14. Princess Margaret (1990)
The Queen's younger sister went for an icy-blue gown, a matching necklace, and earrings for Queen Mother's 90th birthday celebration.
15. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge (2011)
During a royal visit to North America, the Duchess attended the BAFTAs in a regal-looking lilac dress by Alexander McQueen.
16. Queen Elizabeth II (1965)
The Queen opted for a double-breasted coat by Hardy Amies and a floral hat for a visit to Malta.
17. Diana, Princess of Wales (1988)
With sunglasses on, Lady Di looked stylish in a white pencil skirt and a patterned blouse on a royal visit to Bangkok with Prince Charles.
18. Diana, Princess of Wales (1985)
Lady Di walked with confidence in a one-shoulder silk chiffon gown designed by Hachi at an event in Washington D.C..
19. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2019)
On a royal visit to Africa, Duchess Meghan opted for a casual blue shirtdress by Veronica Beard with subtle slits.
20. Diana, Princess of Wales (1986)
Wearing a bold black and white evening gown by the Emmanuels, Princess Diana attended a royal wedding in Saudi Arabia.
21. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge (2011)
The Duchess attended a charity event for Ark in a crystal-covered Jenny Peckham gown.
22. Diana, Princess of Wales (1989)
The Princess of Wales exuded elegance in a white sequin Catherine Walker gown on a royal visit to Hongkong. She called it the "Elvis Dress'' because the dramatic collar reminded her of the iconic musician Elvis Presley.
23. Diana, Princess of Wales (1982)
Lady Diana sported a sailor-inspired dress at her former roommate Carolyn Pride's wedding.
24. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (2018)
On a royal South Africa tour, the Duchess looked effortlessly beautiful in a shirtdress by a local brand and Stuart Weitzman heels.
25. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge (2019)
The Duchess paired her Gucci rose-pink gown with a maroon clutch and Oscar de la Renta shoes for the 100 Women in Finance Gala.
26. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge (2014)
The Duchess sported a light-blue Jenny Peckham gown, which was matched with a pair of beige heels.
27. Queen Elizabeth II (1993)
Her majesty exuded positive energy in a bright pink gown at a banquet in Budapest with her husband, Prince Philip.
28. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge (2019)
Drawing inspiration from her mother-in-law, Duchess Kate opted for an ethereal one-shoulder Alexander McQueen gown at the BAFTAs.
29. Princess Anne (1978)
Princess Anne sported a floral ruffled dress, looking effortlessly classy and elegant.
30. Queen Elizabeth II (2006)
The Queen sported a pale turquoise coat with floral accents on a visit to St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.
31. Queen Elizabeth II (2013)
The Queen opened the New Royal London Hospital in a regal violet coat and a matching hat.